Friday, April 23, 2021

 May I Help You? 

A friend was getting a bus ticket to return home and I sat on a bench near by to wait. I noticed a lady looking at her ticket and she looked distressed.  I asked her if she needed   help....she did.  She could not read English, although she could speak English.  I said, "Do you need to know which gate to take? ". She did so I went to check and there was a Spanish speaking worker in the next room.

When she came back she looked so happy and relieved.  She had a little card in her hand with an address to catch the bus on the corner of Main and McKinny.  (Houston, TX) I knew that was only a few blocks and felt comfortable that Judy, who was driving, would not mind dropping her and the boy off.  Once again the lady was so grateful and thankful.  Her son  had had his tonsils removed the day before at  Galveston and they were  on route back to their home in Brownsville, Tx.   I could tell the boy was in pain. He had a towel in his hands.  I got him a glass of water.

We walked to Judy's car and when we got to Main and McKinney we looked around but no bus station!  What were to do?  Stopping at the corner, we asked a man standing there who "just happened" to be a transit driver and knew exactly what to do!  He said,  "Let me see your ticket." He looked and said, " This is where you catch a bus to the bus station on Harrisburg "  Judy asked, "How do you get there?" He gave exact instructions . Then Judy asked, "How far is it?". He said, " A long way! " Judy didn't blink an eye - she put The car in gear and we were on our way!  The lady had already shared how she had been helped in Galveston. She told us about a couple that had been so kind and helpful.

I looked at her and asked, "Are you a Christian?" A big smile came across her face and she nodded, " Yes. "  I thought so! " I said.  "It seems that God has someone to help you each place you have been!"  After we got to Harrisburg, we realized that again we had arrived at another Metro Stop! But across the street we saw  a small  bus station- big words MEXICO, then another bus station, and still another! I realized how difficult it would have been for this lady and her son to find The right station and it would have meant several blocks of walking.

We found the right bus station and The lady talked to The attendant in Spanish.  The conversation flowed and then to our relief we found out everything was alright.  The little boy, chubby face and hands held out his arms, circled them around my waist and hugged me tightly!  Words cannot express what I felt at that moment!  An incredible love for this little boy I had never met before, and yet, He seemed as dear and as precious as if he had been my very own son!  The lady cried and I put my arms around her and found myself saying, "We will meet again!"  Because we were both  Christians, somehow I felt  confident that we would for my heart believes "Christians never see the last of each other,"

Judy and I both felt such joy and happiness that we had been used as a channel to help someone in need.  

Make me a blessing

Make me a blessing,  

Out of my life

May Jesus shine;

Make me a blessing, O Savior. I pray, 

Make me a blessing

To someone I pray.



golden thread  (three) 1994