Monday, January 24, 2022

To My Daddy

This was written my our daughter, Darlene, who left us with many beautiful writings, paintings and memories to cherish as solace for our grief after our loss of her from a heart problem.

   

"Daddy, do you love the boys

way more than you love me?"

I remember your eyes welled up with tears

and you placed me on your knee.

"Punkin, you're my only girl

more precious than you know - 

you fill my heart with a special joy

I carry wherever I go,"

Feeling warm and secure in your love

I soon fell fast asleep;

keeping alive within me

the memory of your words so sweet.

A special bond was born that night -

a bond known 'round the world;.

A precious bond known only to

a Daddy and his little girl.

I couldn't stay a little girl,

nature made me grow.

Though a part of me wanted to stay,

I knew I had to go.

I still remember the pain in your eyes

"Darlene, please come home."

But I couldn't Daddy...don't you see

I had to stand on my own.

the struggle I was going through

you couldn't possibly see,

for if I didn't leave right then 

I'd have remained there on your knee.

Many years have since gone by -

many things have changed.

My hair is grey...my children grown,

my household rearranged;

But still sometimes when it's late at night

and I'm feeling sad or alone

I travel back to a place and time -  

a place that feels like home.

I'm sitting on my Daddy's knee,

He gentle smiles at me

He holds me close

And let's me know 

His  'girl'  I'll always be.