Monday, June 16, 2008

Do You Love Enough?


I was listening to a speaker from New York who had experienced phenomenal growth in his church. He was telling the congregation some of the background of the church and how it came to be. At the end of his sharing he invited anyone that had a question to come to the front.

There were several people, including me, that came forward. The question I asked was how I could overcome fear in witnessing to others about Jesus. The speaker looked right into my eyes and said, "The question is not about fear. The question is, "Do you love enough?"

Immediately, like a flashback, I remembered a wreck that our family had on the freeway when moving from LA to TX. A truck did not stop at the Stop sign and side swiped our car. The breath was knocked out of our youngest son. I don't remember how we got him out of the car but we had him lying on the ground next to the pavement. Not knowing how serious his injuries might be, I dropped to my knees and began to pray. People were beginning to gather around us but I could care less what they thought of me on my knees praying. My only thought was the love and concern for my child.

The question, "Do you love enough?" is still one to be answered. Regardless of our age there is always an element of fear when stepping out in faith to witness or to be obedient to God's call for whatever it might be.

Christian author, Beth Moore, told about an experience she had in a Knoxville, Airport. She was waiting to board the plane, had her Bible in her lap, and noticed this old man humped over in a wheelchair that was "skin and bones." He had "stringy gray hair" that was long and hung well over his shoulders.

As she was reading her Bible, she had a clear impression from the Lord that He wanted her to ask the man if she could brush his hair. She more or less began arguing with God. "Oh,no, God, please no!" But she ended up brushing this old man's hair. Beth said she knew it sounded strange, but as she was brushing his hair she felt a kind of love that she had never felt for another soul in her life. She said that the emotions were so strong and so pure it was like God had completely overtaken her heart for those few minutes. Like "renting a room and making Himself at home for a short while."

It turned out that the old man was on his way to see his wife that had been too ill to come to the hospital where he had open heart surgery. He had not seen her in months. God saw his tangled and matted hair and whispered to Beth, "I want you to brush his hair."

I'm so glad that Beth "loved enough!" God wants to love through each one of us in helping others. Our obedience will bring joy and satisfaction in return. How many opportunities and blessings do we miss because of fear of what people might think or by not loving enough.

"Heavenly Father, I come to you and pray that you will fill me with your love and that your perfect love will cast out my fears so that I can say, "Yes, Lord," in complete obedience to your will."


"My heart, my life, my all I bring to Christ Who loves me so.
He is my Master, Lord, and King; wherever He leads, I'll go."
"Wherever He leads, I'll go. Wherever He leads, I'll go;
I'll follow my Christ Who loves me so,
Wherever He leads, I'll go."

Philip Carter












13 comments:

JnL4God said...

Mary
That is soooo Good and so true. Having over come a life of battling all sorts of fears, I agree that when you love God enough the other fears go away. My Husband has helped my with so many inhabitions and fears. I've told him that I never had the courage to do it before, but I loved him enough to make the change. Have great day.
Be Blessed,
Love, Lynn

Marilyn said...

What a great answer the speaker gave to your question! My husband and I visit the "bus route" for our church every Saturday morning. There have been so many situations and places that I would have been afraid to venture into except for the love we have for these people and the yearning we have for them to come to know the Lord. It's really true I guess.....if we have enough love we won't fear. Doesn't the Bible say that "perfect love casteth out fear"? But I have a long way to go in loving enough because I still have so many fears to overcome, being a fearful person by nature.
Thanks for sharing this good thought today Mary!

God bless you.
Marilyn in MS

Sheryl said...

Do I love enough? Wow, if I'm honest I don't think so. Or it may be that I'm choosy about whom I love enough? Right now I need to love my husband enough (even though he has left us). I need to love him enough to put aside my own selfish desires, fear of the what-ifs and just be praying for his healing.

Do I love enough or am I filled with fear? Or just full of myself.

Great post, Mary. Thank you!!

Sheryl

Paula (SweetPea) said...

I love the speaker's answer. How true that is. Of course, I think our fears are real but we have to weigh the fear against the love. Yes, the fear is a real feeling and a real inhibitor but we have to see the greater value in stepping out INTO that fear and allowing our love for another to shine forth. What a great, great reminder. Whenever faced with fear to do or say anything, I will indeed remember this and ask myself "BUT do you love him/her?" Is it more important to show the love of Christ or to show the fear of flesh?!

I have heard Beth share that story. She is so hilarious in how she shares her "argument" with the Lord. But oh how humble. I can almost feel the out of body experience she had while brushing his hair and feeling as though the Lord took over. Incredible indeed.

Thanks for sharing this beautiful post, Mary.
Love ya,
Paula

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Great question. One of my favorite Beth Moore acts of faithfulness. Do we really love enough? It was a question that Jesus asked of Peter in John 21. In fact, it's one of the questions I explore in my manuscript that I will be "pitching" to publishers this weekend at a conference. Mary, I need some prayers...

For God's favor (I know I already have it) and for an outpouring of man's favor. Writing a book is a whole lot easier then seeing it come to print. I'm praying for success, but whatever my lot in the matter, God has given me a very good life.

Everything beyond his grace is simply gravy...or frosting...or whipped topping.

My heart breaks for those who haven't heard the good news of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. My husband is a natural when it comes to evangelism. I'm learning...

For whatever moments are left for me on planet earth, may they all be breathed for Christ alone. Let's continue to pray the same passion for each one of us as we move out into the spacious places of ministry he's prepared on our behalf.

Love Monday's with Mary! Can't wait until next week.

peace~elaine

Linda said...

Oh Mary, this is a great post. Thank you for your kind words about my blog, but honestly, I feel like it's about nothing most of the time because I write a lot of trivial things. I'm glad for people like you who have a little more depth! Thank you again.

Denise said...

This was so beautiful, bless you sweetie.

JnL4God said...

Mary,
Thanks for the comments, and I'm thankful that one of my posts inspired it. You and my other blogging Sisters have been such a blessing. Have a great day.
Lynn

Cyndy said...

Oh Mary, thank you so much for this post. It's challenging and it really makes me re-evaluate my "fear".
Do I love enough?
I pray that I remember that question everytime I feel a tap on my shoulder from the Lord.
Hugs, Cyndy

Plant Lady said...

Mary,
It sounds as if you had terrible storm. It has been so hot here, I told someone recently, that I felt we would have some terrible wind and lightning along with the rains when they finally came.

We have just started to get a few scattered thunderstorms, but with just a little rain. We are thankful for ANY rain we get because it has been terribly dry here. A few nights ago I was listening to the national news and hearing about all the flooding in the Midwest. I feel so sorry for them because their homes are being destroyed as well as the farmers in the area have their crops destroyed.

It is to the other extreme here. Even last year, we were faced with a 21" rainfall deficit for the year and although we have has some rain this year, it is still extremely dry.

God will provide that which we need in His time. He is faithful.

Glad you are OK.

Plant Lady

Yolanda said...

Mary,

May we all learn to LOVE more, MORE, than enough! I did Beth's retreat in a box a few months back, if you haven't had a chance, please do so. It is titled, "Loving Well".

Great post and every time I hear the story of the airport in Knoxville, I cry like no other.

To recap, do you and I love enough?

Lovingly,
Yolanda

From the Heart said...

You post is great. I have trouble withnessing to others but have gotten bolder as I've gotten older.

I put the answer about the picures on my comments of my blog.
AliceE.

Tracy said...

Hi Mary! So nice to meet you. Thanks for stopping by my blog and also for praying for Millie, my mother-in-law. Can't tell you how much I appreciate that.

This post was powerful! It was such a blessing to read about your response to the car accident because of the love & concern for your son. What a testimony.

And then, wouldn't you know you shared my favorite Beth Moore illustration of all time...how I pray I will love that much.