Saturday, August 30, 2008

Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord,
No king is saved by the size of his army;
No warrior escapes by his great strength.
A horse is a vain hope for deliverance; despite all its great strength it cannot save.
But the eyes of the Lord are on those who fear him, on those whose hope is in His unfailing love, to deliver them from death and keep them alive in famine.
Portions of scripture from Psalm 33

The Lord God is the Hope for our nation. . . our only Hope!


If we are not governed by God, then we will be ruled by tyrants.
William Penn



First Prayer in Congress

"Lord our Heavenly father, High and Mighty King of kings, and Lord of lords,
who dost from thy throne behold all the dwellers on earth and reignest with power supreme and uncontrolled over the Kingdoms, Empires and Governments; look down in mercy, we beseech thee, on these our American States, who have fled to thee from the rod of the oppressor and thrown themselves on Thy gracious protection, desiring to be henceforth dependent on Thee, to Thee have they appealed for the righteousness of their cause; to Thee do they now look up for that countenance and support, which Thou alone canst give; take them, therefore, Heavenly Father, under Thy nurturing care: give them wisdom in Council and valor in the field; defeat the malicious designs of our cruel adversaries; convince them of the unrighteousness of their Cause and if they persist in their sanguinary purposes, of own unerring justice, sounding in their hearts, constrain them to drop the weapons of war from their unnerved hands in the day of battle! Be Thou present, O God of wisdom, and direct the councils of this honorable assembly; enable them to settle things on the best and surest foundation. That the scene of blood may be speedily closed; that order, harmony and peace may be effectually restored, and truth and justice, religion and piety, prevail and flourish amongst Thy people. Preserve the health of their bodies and vigor of their minds; shower down on them and the millions they here represent, such temporal blessings as Thou seest expedient for them in this world and crown them with everlasting glory in the world to come. All this we ask in the Name and through the merits of Jesus Christ, Thy Son and our Savior.

Amen."

September 7, 1774 by Jacob Duche







25 comments:

Charlotte said...

How did our country get so far away from these principles? This is a wonderful post. It is a great reminder we all need. Thank you for sharing on Spiritual Sundays. It is posts like this that make me know that starting Spiritual Sundays was a good thing.
Blessings,
Charlotte

Clif said...

What a good post! I have been quite concerned about our next President, congress, etc. Your post reminds me that I need to spend more time in prayer about this matter. Spiritual Sundays led me to your splendid blog. I have read with interest some of your other posts. Be encouraged! You are keeping the light shining!

ginger at enchanting cottage said...

That is a powerful prayer! Our country needs our prayers more now than ever. Thank-you so much for sharing this with us.
Ginger

Denise said...

Such a powerful post sweetie, thank you.

Joyfull said...

Very timely post with a realization of how far our country is headed. Prayer is the answer. Thank you for sharing.

skoots1mom said...

maybe we should all post this prayers on our websites as a sign of unity and to remind us to keep praying it over our country before November comes!

From the Heart said...

God bless you Mary,
Yes, we need to pray more for our country that things will go God's way, not man's way.
AliceE.

skoots1mom said...

i'll be praying for "coastal" safety...these storms are always so unpredictable...but they sure speak to the enormity of the Lord's power, don't they?!

thanks for adding Baby Katie to your prayers...she is a bundle of God's miracles. She's such a trooper and she LOVES people and doggies. now she's in the habit of climbing up and down the stairs and she's about the run my sister ragged. looking at her and being around her, you'd never know she is as frail as she really is. i just love her little pigtails! her favorite word this week is bubbles...
and you should see her do sign language...with her aversion to eating and speaking, we are teaching her ASL...she picks it up quicker than I do.

Again, prayers for a safe night and next few days...luv ya!

Carrie said...

Wonderful post...

Renie Burghardt said...

Beautiful reminder of the need for prayer. Thank you for sharing, Mary. Have a blessed Sunday.

Renie

Plant Lady said...

Mary,

I undertand what you are feeling! Living on the coast of North Carolina, I have seen my fair share of hurricanes. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Plant Lady

debrah said...

Mary thank you for sharing this prayer! I am so encouraged by people such as Lou Engle and others who are praying for our Nation. There are people who meet weekly just to pray for our Nation. There is a call to fast and pray from Sept. 24th to Nov 2nd for our Nation. I don't know much about Sarah Palin butI am encouraged what I have heard since Friday. We need to consider the cost and not compromise the Word of God.
God is faithful.
Be Blessed,
In His Love,
Debrah

Betty said...

Hi Mary,

I am so glad you visited me today. I enjoyed your post for today. It is a reminder that we all need to pray for our nation and pray that the best man for the good of our country will be elected to the highest office of our land, President of the United States of America.

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

I love the picture of our founding father's, they truly did look to our Lord for guidance. What a beautiful prayer and reminder.

Have a Blessed Sonday!
Kathi :)

Coffee Bean said...

I have something for you on my blog.

ancient one said...

Thanks for coming by to visit.

The girl and the boy on the right are my grandchildren. The picture was taken years ago on an Easter morning when we were still in the little old church. Now they are married and we have a new large church building.

I've been humming "Hold the Fort" for some time now. Gotta' keep reminding myself that politics won't save us.

Peggy said...

Blessings Mary...Such a powerful prayer and message! The graphic of Jesus is excellent!

Our Congress and current governing body needs to be reawakened to the truths of this prayer and the beliefs this country was founded!

Thank you for sharing and passing this legacy of ONE GREAT NATION UNDER GOD...on to us today between the two conventions and another Hurricane that we cannot waver or wander from God! We need GOD in America today...this is a song of
Carman, which I shared on July 4th.

They sure knew how to PRAY!

Debra said...

What a beautiful reminder of the of our founding principles!

Beautiful post!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

What an awesome photo and prayer! As you know, I recently felt the presence of God in tangible form on a Sunday. I can't shake the imagine, nor do I think God would have me forget!

I love the verse from Psalm 33...

It's a personal favorite of mine because it talks about life and famine in the same breath. God doesn't just want me to survive seasons of famine...he wants me to live while walking them. A powerful promise.

Stay out of harm's way, Mary. Not sure if you're near the hurricane, but I have experienced the bitter bite of hurricane waters during Floyd in 1998.

peace~elaine

Grace said...

Hi Mary!

Hope all is well in Pasadena and you're nowhere near the hurricane.

Blessings Dear One!
:)

skoots1mom said...

still sending prayers your way for safety...
pray for us, too, it looks like Hanna is coming our way...

KJ said...

Mary, I got more than just a Spiritual Sunday here. I received a booster shot for my whole week. This post is AWESOME! Your testimony about praising God in the midst of losing your son is so telling about your relationship with God...

God says to praise Him IN all things; not For all things. I have 2 sons and a daughter. I can't imagine losing one of them! I just know that God has always been faithful to be strong when I am at my weakest.

Thanks for this!
KJ

From the Heart said...

Mary, Please come to my blog, I have an award for you.
AliceE.

skoots1mom said...

thanks for checking on us...
looks like we're just gonna get a little rain
My mother-in-law's city, Fayetteville, NC looks like they are gonna take a good bit of it tonight...so we'll be praying for them to not get blown or flooded out...

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

I saw the pic of Christ at the UN when I was a little girl, and it made so much of an impression on me. thanks for sharing.