Monday, August 18, 2008

Praise Him!



I was visiting with a dear friend as she shared some of the desperation and grief that she was experiencing and said she felt it almost more than she could bear. I listened, feeling so helpless to do anything, although the thought came to my mind, "Praise Him!"

There are times when our lives are overwhelmed with problems, heartache and depression. But I know from experience that to offer God a sacrifice of praise can release His power to work in our lives in a miraculous way. Offer Him a sacrifice of praise and thanksgiving even when you don't feel like praising God. . . especially when you don't feel like it!

When my oldest child was about sixteen or seventeen she became rebellious and was living a sinful lifestyle. My heart was breaking. Waves of grief would come in like the tide and I felt I would drown. I would go into my bedroom, get on my knees and open the Bible to the Psalms. I "prayed" Psalms of praise until the awful darkness lifted and I could feel God's peace and hope in my hurting heart.

When my son was killed in a car accident, I was almost numb with shock when I heard the words, "He's gone." I left the hospital waiting room and went outside, lifted my head to the sky, and began to praise God. If anyone had been watching, they would have probably thought I had lost my mind, to be praising God moments after hearing the news about my son. But the scripture says, "In all things give thanks" and that is exactly what I did! I began to praise and thank God. His power was released and a calmness took over my spirit that I can't explain. I was able to give comfort to others. I remember one of the friends of my son was almost hysterical and I put my arms around her and tried to calm her. I was in grief but I had peace, that wonderful peace that God gives in the storm. He is faithful!
But we have to look up. If we look down we will see nothing but darkness and despair. When we look up we see the stars shining in the darkness. These stars, to me, represent the beautiful, unfailing, promises of God. I praise Him for His faithfulness. . . today and every day!



The
Tree
Of Praise
The Precious
Power Of Praise!
Praise = honours God!
Praise = brings deliverance!
Praise = is the voice of faith!
Praise = is the language of Heaven!
Praise = sets the stage for God to move!
Praise = releases God's Angels to minister!
Praise = fuels joy which is our strength!
Praise = knocks down the walls of resistance!
Praise = stills the enemy and the avenger!
Praise = dispels darkness and depression!
Praise = precedes not follows blessings!
Praise = moves God's many blessings down!
Praise = brings God onto the scene!
Praise = is total acceptance of God's word!
Author
Unknown
*
After writing this post, I did not want to leave the wrong impression. There are certainly times that I have depression and the clouds hover over and I just have to wait for the sun to shine again. I was writing primarily about those things that come into our life that just overwhelm us in their severity.
**
Here is a song of praise that I love!
When you're up against a struggle
That shatters all your dreams
And your hope's been cruelly crushed
By Satan's manifested scheme
And you feel the urge within you
To submit to earthly fears
Don't let the faith your standing in seem to disappear
**
Praise the Lord, He can work through those who praise Him
Praise the Lord for our God inhabits praise
Praise the Lord for the chains that seem to bind you
Serve only to remind you that they
Drop powerless behind you when you praise Him
**
Now Satan is a liar and he wants to make us think
That we are paupers when he knows himself we're children
of the King
Lift up the mighty shield of faith for the battle has been won
We know that Jesus Christ is risen so the work's already done
**
Praise the Lord, He can work through those who praise Him
Praise the Lord for our God inhabits praise
Praise the Lord for the chains that seem to bind you
Serve only to remind you that they
Drop powerless behind you when you praise Him
*
author unknown

16 comments:

From the Heart said...

A great post. As I was reading your post I suddendly realized my Musical Playlist was on Total Praise by the Brooklyn Tabenacle Choir. God deserves all our praise.
God bless you,
AliceE.

debbiewhitlock said...

There are so many blogs written today on this subject! God is really speaking to me.. I am in the place and cant get out..

I know I can.

nannykim said...

I agree, praise is a powerful lifter of our souls. And we do have so much to praise Him for---especially for all He is and all He has given us in His Son!

Sheryl said...

Thank you for this! You know my life right now and one of the best things I can do is crank up the praise music. So often it is not natural for me to praise Him but I know I must.

You are such a blessing to me,
Sheryl

Ruthie said...

Great post. I likes the Praise article in the shape. Very nice.

Blessings.

Peggy said...

Thank you so much Mary...bless you for sharing such wisdom and God's Word of PRAISING Him even in the storms...what a wonderful example though your heart was so overcome with grief and desperation of reaching out! I'm so sorry for the loss of your son so tragically. I
pray that your daughter has seen the light and is not prodigal anymore.

I'm glad I came to visit because this was advice I can use and pass on. Who would have known but God that you would bless me when I came just to thank you for your visit on Monday instead of Spiritual Sunday at my blog! My SS was better than MM!

Response to your comment at mine:
No, I did not know about Elizabeth Elliot before Nancy, but isn't she an author? How are you able to get prayers from Nancy for Pastors, etc. are they on her ROH site?
How wonderful to bless our pastors and their wives! In these days we all need the covering of prayers!

I love Hinds Feet! I wish I had my copy with me here in Mexico! It is worth rereading because I think as we age we can see more clearly the illustrations. At first reading, too many give up because they can't get the analogy.

I loved your SONG & the PRAISE tree! May I use the PRAISE tree?

There are many people in depressed states right now (from blogs I've read) and I pray that they read your post on PRAISE HIM! I will point them in this direction! As hard as it is to do...Praise is the lifter of our heads and it is only by praising that we rise out of that pit of despair! Praise God!

Thank You Lord, for Mary and her excellent post on Praising You!

ancient one said...

Great post, Mary. Thanks!

JnL4God said...

Mary
Great post and so true. We don't praise Him enough, and thanks for the reminder. I love your wisdom and insight. THanks.
Lynn

Yolanda said...

Mary,

Your comment left on Elaine's blog, truly touched my heart. I think for me, your words, caused me to relax some and say, I'm ok, and I'm on my way. To dust myself off, and keep on keeping on.

Lovingly,
Yolanda

MelanieJoy said...

I'm glad you decided to stop by my blog today....because it is a pleasure to meet you and because I sooooo need to hear your post today! There have been somethings going on this summer that I've been trying so hard to remind myself of this same scripture. To praise Him anyway...
I'm sorry about your son...those words don't seem like much but they are said with a lot of love...
Thank you for sharing...you seem like an amazing women of God and I so look forward to getting to know you...Blessings~Melanie

Denise said...

Bless you for this sweetie. I love that song.

Joyfulsister said...

HI Mary

(((Hugz))) You are a blessing to me and your words on this post truly ministered to me as well. I have a daughter who is away from the Lord, she's been in church since she was in my belly, till she graduated. I'm still praying that she will return to her first love one day. Your testimony of your son touched me so much, to praise God in worst of times not only in the good, goes to show what a wonderful relationship of faith and trust that you have in the Lord. There is scripture that says...

Put on the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness.

Luv you my sistah!!!

Beth (A Mom's Life) said...

What a beautiful post! I will have to remember to always praise God even when I don't want to.

Thanks for sharing this, Mary.

debbiewhitlock said...

Thank you for the heartwarming comment. I really needed that..
I know GOD knows it all.

Thank you
Debbie

Coffee Bean said...

Oh Mary... I came here to tell you that Pollyanna is one of my very favorite movies and that I was going to go through my post and "Pollyanna it up" after each of the things I listed. This post really got me and I wasn't expecting it. Thank you for all of your wonderful posts. The problems with our oldest daughter have been so hard on us. We aren't perfect, our family wasn't perfect, but we are a good family. We were so upset by some of our other daughter's behavior and comments that we both felt like such failures yesterday. We know that our children are their own people and that we can't take responsibility for their actions but... in our hearts we are so grieved and we are constantly looking for what we did wrong. We saw our counselor today and talked about that... Sometimes I have a hard time just being in church. I don't share on my blog what all I used to do... but, I used to be very involved. That all started changing because of my voice and over the last couple of years I just let one thing after the other fall off my plate where serving is concerned. Sometimes I have to go looking for my bible before we leave for church only to find it has sat untouched since the Sunday before. I don't pray nearly as often... It's not that I'm angry at God. I'm just weary. At times I feel like the sadness is unbearable. I feel like Pollyanna at the end of the movie when she's lost the ability to find the good in things anymore. But I keep trying... mostly by trying to find the humor in the things in my life through sarcasm. Reading this post opened my eyes to the fact that, in some ways, I've traded that for seeking out our Father.

Mary said...

My dear coffee bean,
I can actually feel your heart in your comments. I plan to write you by email perhaps tomorrow or Monday... you are already in my prayers.

you are special to me

mary