Monday, July 7, 2008

The Pathway

To Grandmother
Shattered and broken,
I lay at your feet.
No strength to go on,
too many ghosts do defeat.
Gently. . . you stroked my head.
Quietly. . . you dried my tears.
You somehow gave me courage
to face all my fears.
I looked to your face;
so gentle. . . so wise.
I leaned on the strength
that glowed in your eyes.
You shared how you too,
had once walked this road.
You knew what it felt like
to carry this load.
For years now, I've looked
to you for my strength
trusted you to help me
when I felt I might sink.
But soon now your journey
of toil will be through,
and I can't help but wonder
What will I do?
Where will I go
when my confidence wanes?
Where will I turn
when I'm broken with pain?
Seems now I hear you. . .
your voice sweet and low;
"Seek the path I have traveled
it shows where to go."
I look down that path
and I see at its end
a shadowy vision
that shows where you've been.
There in the dirt
worn down through the years
are two tiny knee prints
and a cup full of tears.
Holding the cup
sits a man robed in white.
His face wise and gentle
His eyes full of light.
I listen in awe
to the words He now speaks
for somehow He knows
the answers I seek.
"Shattered and broken
SHE lay at MY feet.
No strength to go on,
too many ghosts to defeat.
Gently. . . I stroked her head.
Quietly. . . I dried her tears
I then gave her courage
to face all her fears.
Her journey's soon over
but there's room
here for you.
She cleared the path. . .
So YOU would know what to do.
Darlene
Toward the end of my mother's life, my daughter Darlene wrote this poem for her.
Both have now completed life's journey. This same Jesus will lead each of us every step of the way. And when that last step is taken, we will be home! What a glorious day that will be!
"We'll sing and shout
and dance about
the lamb will dry our tears
We'll have a grand homecoming week
The first ten thousand years!"
R. Browning


14 comments:

Cyndy said...

There is a line from a praise song that we sing in our church that goes like this, "...I love it when you gently kiss my brow, and tell me it's alright..."
And it is alright because he's already taken care of it all on the cross.
Thank you Mary...what a lovely poem.

Sheryl said...

Oh, Mary that is so beautiful. What a tribute to your mom from her granddaughter. I love the line about seeing 2 tiny knee prints. I hope I'm able to leave such a legacy.

I didn't realize you had lost your daughter, Darlene. By the way she wrote, she obviously learned to love her Jesus just like her mom.

Love ya,
Sheryl

debbiewhitlock said...

WOW! That was very touching! I have no words!

Denise said...

Such a beautiful poem, bless you.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Mary:
These are powerful words and a beautiful visual representation of what awaits us all. I love them both and thank you for sharing such a tender sweetness with me. It's been a hard day, so I very much needed a stop by here.

peace~elaine

Coffee Bean said...

Oh Mary! I've just read through several of your posts after this one... what a wonderful example you are. God bless you for sharing! Whenever I see a yellow feather, I will think of you too.

What a beautiful poem...

Tracy said...

Mary,
What a beautiful tribute to your Mom from your precious daughter. How difficult it must have been to lose two such precious people. No doubt they're celebrating together in Heaven. Thank you for sharing this beautiful, beautiful poem. Quite an inspiring legacy.
Blessings,
Tracy

ising4him said...

Your daughter's poem is beautiful. Thank you for sharing it with us.

And thank you for visiting my 'still-in-progress' blog. I'm honored that yours was the first comment.

God bless you!
Dale

Kaytlynn said...

Mary,
I came across your post from another blog. I really like your blog, especially the last post. Oh, and this is kind of a side note, but I think it's really neat that you married your childhood sweetheart and are still together after all of these years. I hope I can have a marriage like that someday! Have a wonderful day,
In Him,
Kaytlynn

skoots1mom said...

thanks for comin' by...
i really enjoyed the day taking pictures in the yard.
Praying blessings for your visit with brother and sister-n-law.
talk to u soon!

Michelle ~ ~ said...

dearest Mary, thanks for posting on my blog. God is so good .. and I'm glad you were apart of BSF. I do hope you can possibly return someday. I actually will be heading to S.Africa Dec 28th - Jan 11, 2009 to assist in missions linked to BSF. God bless you and yours. Mary your writing is so God-inspired. My mother and daddy live in Rowlett, TX (daddy is from the valley - Pharr).
michelle

From the Heart said...

Thanks for your comments on my blog. The poem your daughter wrote about her grandmother is beautiful.

You mentioned that your grandson use to crawl on your lap and you would rock him and sing to him.

We had my 15 year old grandson just about every weekend the first year of his life. His dad had a band and they were gone alot on the weekends. He was such a sweet little boy. He would play with his poppaw downstairs until he got tired at night and then he would come upstairs and climb onto my lap and wiggle around until he found a good spot in my arms. Now I can't carry a tune in a bucket, but I always sang the Barney song to him. He loved watching Barney. The song was "I love you, you love me, we're a happy family with a great big hug and a kiss from me to you, won't you say you love me too." Then I would sing songs like Amazing Grace and some others I can't remember until he fell asleep. Sometimes during the night he would get out of his playpen which was in our room and stand beside my side of the bed until (well you know when your asleep and you sense someone is watching) I woke up. I would pull the covers back and he would crawl in our bed between us. I didn't get to have that kind of time with his sister but when she was here I would rock her to sleep also but the song she liked was "You are my sunshine". No matter where we were if she was cranky and tired and I started singing that song she would go to sleep. One time my husband, my daughter, son-in-law and the grandchildren went in our van to see my oldest daughter. My granddaughter got really tired and I started singing and she said no, no, no. My husband had a small recorder so I recorded the song and handed it to her. When she finished listening she said "Mommaw that's not bad" and within 5 minutes she fell asleep. Those are such precious memories. We love our daughters but the love for our grandchildren is totally different and I'm sure you understand what I mean.
God bless you and may you have a wonderful weekend,
AliceE.

Coffee Bean said...

I've got something for ya on my blog (a share the love award).

skoots1mom said...

catching up on my reading...
hope this finds you doing GREAT!
i was so excited to get to go to our campmeeting last night...the beginning of our revival week with dinner on the ground each night.
We sweltered in the 94+ degree heat and unfortunately the breezes were few and far between.
BUT, the preaching exceeded expectations and lit new fires under us/me...
I stayed later than I wanted due to my daughter's commitment to help with rising 6th graders, and we didn't get home until very late.
Well, I think I overdid it...I feel like i've been hit by a truck today. So, unfortunately, I'm not able to go tonight and drink in the wonderful words of our visiting pastor, i'm sad, but know i have to take care of myself so that maybe i can go another evening this week.
Well, enough about that, I just wanted to say hi and let you know you've been in my prayers.
:)