Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Hope

Hope reaches out in darkness . . . and touches God.

I love the word HOPE!

When hope touches God, there is a peace that cannot be explained. This peace gives the faith and assurance that God is in control and that His sweet will is far better than anything we could ask for.

When my daughter was so very ill we were praying and hoping for her healing. Then came the day when hope touched God and that unexplainable peace filled my heart and mind and soul. Things did not go as I had hoped and prayed, yet when God's peace came, I could lift my head and give praise and honor and glory knowing that God "holds the whole world in His hands."

Less than a year ago my older brother was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. How frightened I was when I was told the news. I prayed and hoped and prayed and hoped then once again the peace came and I knew that God's will was being done. He lived only a few weeks after the diagnosis but I had several wonderful visits and talks with him, while he was in the hospital. And even though I miss both my daughter and brother more than I can convey, the peace remains.

I have a younger brother that over three years ago, underwent surgery for a serious type of cancer on his face, close to the eye in the temple area. We were all so frightened and things looked somber but the surgery went well and the surgeon gave him as much as a 90 or 95% survival rate. Each year he has had PET Imaging and last week he had his third image. Two of the doctors had released him, and seemed confident that the cancer had been eradicated. But this PET image shows something on the brain that wasn't there before and he is scheduled for an MRI in the morning that will be more accurate in the characterization of any malignancy. We as well as the doctor was taken by surprise yet Hope remains that the MRI will not reveal cancer.

I am praying for God's will and praying for God's peace. I am not there yet. I do not have the peace that I long to have. . not yet. I am still reaching in the darkness to touch God. As I write, my heart hurts so deeply. And my brother and his wife are suffering greatly.

And so this post is just to say that I covet your prayers for my younger brother that I love so very, very much. He has been a strength and help in our family for many years and now he needs our strength and support. . . and God's peace. . . the peace that only He can give!

Here are the words of a song that keeps going through my mind.


"God will make a way
Where there seems to be no way
He works in ways we cannot see
He will make a way for me
He will be my guide
Hold me closely to His side
With love and strength for each new day
He will make a way
He will make a way."
Don Moen


I'm holding to that!

16 comments:

skoots1mom said...

Jesus, I am praying for Mary, her younger brother, and his wife that your will be done, that your grace wrap around them as a warm blanket. Remind them of your promises, your covenant with your creation. For your ways are not our ways, but your plans for us are much better than we can ever imagine. Show all of them your answers in their own special ways, as You tell them great and unsearchable things. May the prayers of others surround them with a hedge of protective angels as they walk through their procedure tomorrow and during their discussions with the doctors. Give them a voice of praise throughout whatever they may encounter, knowing You have them in the palm of your hand.
Lord, give them your peace tonight for rest before he goes in for his MRI, for you know our anxieties sometimes overtake us.



Call to Me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know."
Jer. 33:3

JnL4God said...

Mary
I have prayed for your Brother, and I pray that you have peace. Psalm 118:17 I will live and not die and I will proclaim what the Lord has done.
John 10:10 The theif comes to kill steal and destroy by I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.
Jesus died on the cross so we would be healed, claim that healing for your brother.
I always Pray 1st that they are right with that Lord and then I pray for their healing.
With Love,
Lynn

Paula (SweetPea) said...

Oh, my sweet Mary.

I love the pictures of hope you shared with us. Isn't it great that He gave you hope in so many times of terrible heartache. It's like a bandaid of His love covering your sorenesss.

I love the words of that song. I have that song on one of my variety tapes. I remember the day I first heard it last summer (after my beloved left). I was filled with such hope knowing that He can make a way...He can make a stream in the desert...He can make a path in the desert. I think those words are also part of that song.

Lord God, I lift Mary's brother up to you. We do not know what the future holds, Father, but we do know that YOU hold the future. I pray Your love and peace will shower Mary and her family with comfort. Lord, I ask that You shine down on Mary that peace You have so many times given her. Thank you, precious Jesus, for what You will do for Mary and for her brother. You are King of Kings and Lord of Lords. You, Father, are the Great Physician and we place into your care this very precious man who means so much to many. Give him healing Father than only you can give. Thank You, Jesus, for hearing our petitions. In His Name, Amen.

Much love to you, precious Mary.
Paula

From the Heart said...

Mary, I will be praying for your brother and that you will receive the peace you need.
Blessings,
AliceE.

Becoming Me said...

I am so glad I found your beautiful blog. What a testimony you have. And hope touched by God is pure beauty.

Plant Lady said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Plant Lady said...

Mary,
Oops, I had several misspelled words! Let me start again.

Your brother and sister-in-law will be in our prayers and I will also mention it tonight at Bible Study and put them on our prayer list at church.

I pray for the peace and comfort that you are searching for to come quickly. Hope is a wonderful thing and God will honor it.

Cast all your cares on Him for He cares for you.

Blessings~
Plant Lady

skoots1mom said...

how r u?

Sheryl said...

Mary, I am praying and I will continue to pray. For your precious brother and for your peace. This statement you said really struck me "I am still reaching in the darkness to touch God". That is beautiful!!

Even in your pain you are still such an encouragement.

Love you,
Sheryl

Mary said...

My brother will get the results of the MRI at 3:30pm (Thursday) So, we continue to wait. . . and hope. . . and your comments and prayers and scriptures have given strength and comfort. I find it difficult to pray and so I cling to your prayers. Thank you more than I can say.

I love and appreciate each one of you!

mary

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Mary:
I'm a bit behind, but I want you to know this is one of the most tender, real posts I've read in blog land. I hear your heart, and I feel (in part) your anxious tearing. I love coming here every week, and I am ready and willing to stand alongside you all in prayer for whatever the needs may be.

There can be "peace in our journey", but I well understand that this day, He seems a hard reach. Here's praying you find his provision and presence through the door tonight.

love u!

peace~elaine

Tracy said...

Hi Mary,
I'm catching up this morning and just read this for the first time. Thank you for so beautifully and honestly sharing your hurting and unsettled heart. Not knowing yet the outcome, I've lifted and will continue lifting prayers on behalf of your brother, his wife, and also for you.

Blessings, sweet friend.
Tracy

"You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you.
~Isaiah 26:3"

JnL4God said...

Mary,
I have something for you if you go to my blog.
Loves,
Lynn

Hope things are going better.

From the Heart said...

Mary,
Please go to my blog and read my post for July 20th. I have a surprize for you.
AliceE.

Denise said...

I am praying for your dear brother.

HOPE said...

Dear Mary (Shirley)...thank you for stopping by my blog..though you didn't leave a comment...I wanted to know who visited..and here you are with this wonderful post about HOPE. Thank you for sharing this.

This too is my desire and prayer that others will just rest in the hope of GOD and in HIS perfect will.

Please stop by my other post watering wells of hope...we have a common bond!

God bless you with answered prayers according to his will with peace in your heart..once again.