Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Torch Of Faith


The "Torch of Faith" has been passed down for several generations on my mother's side. And I pray that the light will continue to shine in each generation until the coming of the Lord.

I heard my mother and also her sisters tell many stories of their ancesters. They are all gone now and the only stories that can be passed to the next generation are those that were heard by my generation and possible some of our children. Here are a couple of the stories.

My great grandmother was a very Godly woman from all accounts and a woman of prayer and great devotion. One day the weather was stormy and there was danger of a tornado. My great grandmother gathered the children for a place of safety in the house and one of the children asked, "Mamma, aren't you going to pray?" And with calmness she answered, "No, now is the time to trust."

When my great grandmother was on her dying bed she was overheard to say,
"There he is!"
"Who, mamma, is it Pappa?
"No, Jesus."

Isn't that a beautiful way to live. . . . and die?

4 comments:

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Mary:
And the torch continues to pass with every word you write!

peace~elaien

Plant Lady said...

Mary,
Isn't it wonderful to look back and see the godly heritage that is passed from generation to generation.
It is a legacy that I treasure, because God has been faithful to call out our names.

I can remember my grandmother as she passed on her love for the work of missions. Because of her, I have become active in our church's efforts on the mission field, whether it be home missions or in foreign lands.

That is the heritage of godly ancestors! It's God's way of carrying on the "Great Commission."

Hope you have a good evening and I'll be looking forward to your next post!

Plant Lady

Mary said...

How your words touch the heart!
Thank you so much elaine

mary

Mary said...

Plant Lady, thanks so much for sharing some of your heritage. We are blessed! I am also thankful and blessed for the friendship that we are sharing through the wonderful world of blogging!

It is so amazing that we can meet beautiful people sprinkled throughout the United States and some have even may contact world wide!

mary